Rustic Starburst Mirror

sticks and twigs

Hey there. I’ve been working on a project and guess what? Its finished, so I’m here to share.

Remember our camping trip? Well I gathered some twigs and sticks for a rustic starburst mirror that weekend. At the time I was playing the layout of sticks over and over in my head, I gathered all types about 1” to ½” in diameter.

Once I arrived home I scrubbed each stick with soap and water, then lightly sanded with a fine grit sand paper. (My neighbors must really think I’m crazy – who is this girl outside on this nice afternoon scrubbing dirty wood sticks?)

playing with sticks

The placement of sticks was a little difficult. A usual starburst mirror has even spears or at least even staggered spears that are identical. I wanted the mirror to be balanced but not perfect.

So I played with sticks for awhile, once they found their happy home I headed craft store.

the base

hardware

A round piece of wood, 7” mirror and hanging hardware were on my list.

please stick

First I tried gluing then clamping one twig at a time. The glue didn’t dry quick enough for me. So I resulted to hot glue, then using wood glue to secure the twigs and sticks better after the hot glue was dry.

Later I found out you can buy hot glue sticks for wood! Wish I would have known.

Finished Rustic Starburst Mirror

Its finished and exactly what I wanted.

details details details 

Happiness

Its hung above my couch in the family room. It makes me smile every time I walk into the room, has a project of yours ever made you just grin?

So my next project is also in the family room/living room, it just arrived in the mail! I can’t wait to show you.

Have a lovely afternoon.

This project is linked up to Fresh Coat Friday and Funky Junk Interiors Saturday Nite Special

12 comments:

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

This is fabulous!! I love how you left the wood natural! Janell

Christina said...

Love this! I want one. Looks pretty easy to do, too!

Lora said...

How cute is that!? Good idea and good job.

Shelle said...

That is fabulous! I love it!!! Can you make me one, too? WOW. And I'm so glad you left the wood natural.

LOL - I'll bet your neighbors probably do think you're a little "off" in the head... But that's ok. Look at what you have to show for it! It'd make me grin everytime I saw it, too. :)

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Very Cool!! Love the texture of the wood!

Miss Mustard Seed said...

What a great project! Very innovative and it looks chic. Nice work.

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Well, this totally inspired me! Rustic wood is totally up my alley. Thanks for a wild idea that just came to me. Yeeehaw!!! Love it when that happens. :)

Love it!

Donna

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

LOVE THIS! This so fits my house and I just happen to have a couple of small mirrors like that and the whole outdoors for a stick supply. Doing this today! Thanks for the post, it looks great.

LindsB said...

Holy crap this is so cool!! I LOVE that you collected these yourself, the mirror has that much more meaning. Its like a work of art!

SHERRY HART said...

So funny as this is next on my list of projects also! I have been collecting sticks on the trail when I walk my dogs. I actually put mine in a big bin with water and a gallon of bleach to clean them! They lightened up more than yours. Oh well....but seriously I love how cute your is!!! Thanks for the tip on hot glue for wood

Ginger@cottageonrosewood said...

I LOVE it. Now, it leaves me hunting for a place to hang my copycat version!

Robin said...

this is just my husband's & my styles mixed! Love it!